Dub Brown's Family

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Our Nomads in Egypt

Last week, I received this email from Egypt:

"Greetings all from Egypt

We arrived safely after a long flight and are staying in a quite wonderful Intercontinental hotel. Today we toured the Egyptian Museum and saw the King Tut things as well as many other treasures. We also saw Saladin's citidel and a shopping souk. It was a bit like the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul but messier and pushier. The group we are with seem to be very nice people and our leader Tarek is very knowledgable and patient. Tomorrow we go to the Coptic area of Cairo and the Step Pyramid and later we go to the great pyramids and sphnix. All in all I am glad to be here. We are staying right on the banks of the Nile and can watch the river flow and the people out fishing in the river.

It is late -- hope you are all well.

Love, Janet/Mom"

Next missive:

"Check out the happy faces on Dub, Me and the camels. We had a great time today at the pyramids. Our guide is very knowledgeable and has done a good job of ferrying us around to the sights of Cairo. Tomorrow we get up at O Dark 30 and fly to Aswan and see Abu Simbal;. We start the Lake Cruise then.

Just now I tried to walk over to see the US Embassy and the guards wouldn't let us through. You might be interested to know that we have had an armed guard on the bus with us every day. Always a different person, and it looks like each is packing an automatic pistol. I asked a person at the hotel about the embassy and he said he thought it is because of the situation in Gaza -- and also that Dub had a big camera around his neck.

Love to all, Mom, Janet"

(note: we did not get any attached photo of smiling camels, Dubs or Janets)

My reply:

"Egypt sounds great, with or without guards. But I have to ask: did the camel spit? When I worked on that dreadful movie, “In the Army Now,” the camels we dressed were all pretty mellow except one who kept spitting on everyone.
P.s. Dad, what kind of pistol do they carry? Would I like it? :-)"


Today I got this email from Egypt:

"or the last ew days w have bn in Nubia. Can you tell that the keyboarrd is prtty ad and I am not editing. We hav seen temples to RamsesII atAu Simel, and several other sites, we are learning to read hyroglyphics, and are cming adpt at aviding sellers in the markets. Saw a great coffe maker ut restrained mysel. Th accommodations are classy with everything one could desire. We are on our second ship now on the Nile. I can't elieve the linens, the views, the service -- all quite wonderul.

No the caml didn't spit. Th guns were AK 47's and machine pistols. W have a uard at each stop who our guid calls Wyatt Earp -- adiferent guard very day as well as police on the oats.

I hope this was readale. But all is wll and we will suject you to hours o pictures.

And Lila I have a picture of a dog that looks like C hicala.

Love, Mom, Jant"

(note: my birthday is coming soon, I hope they bring me some Egyptian linens!)

Linda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home