Annie Oakley on Her First Outing
Okay, so while growing up, I wasn't much interested in guns. I certainly had plenty of opportunity to learn, but they just didn't appeal to me. Perhaps it was the noise; perhaps it was the bruises on her shoulder Mom came home with, after shooting skeet. So, perhaps it is not surprising that Dad was a bit startled when I asked him to teach me to shoot handguns while we were Up North.
But he seemed happy enough to oblige. He packed up some guns and some ammunition and paper targets; and he and Bruce and I went off, one afternoon, to the woods (with permission of the owner!) to have some fun.
(Learning to load the revolver.)
(The Gun Master looks on.)
(Don't you love the "smoke"?)
(My first target!)
But he seemed happy enough to oblige. He packed up some guns and some ammunition and paper targets; and he and Bruce and I went off, one afternoon, to the woods (with permission of the owner!) to have some fun.
(Learning to load the revolver.)
(The Gun Master looks on.)
(Don't you love the "smoke"?)
(My first target!)
1 Comments:
The story continues. On Sunday, after returning home, we went to the indoor range near here. There she was exposed to the noise and significant recoil of shooting full strength .357 magnum loads. Her first reaction was, "Wow! that is noisy and it really jumps in your hand." But, she settled down and took it through two full cylnders of six shots each. After that the 9mm Beretta was a piece of cake and you could cover the holes from her second series with the palm of your hand. Brother Bruce has a very steady hand with the handgun so who knows we may have a family pistol team in the making.
By
Anonymous, at 7:39 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home