The Mystery May Be Solved
A couple people commented to me, during the course of the reunion/birthday weekend, that they hadn't realized what an impact Dad has had on our extended family -- that he has, indeed, assumed the mantle of patriarch (like it or not, Dad, it's yours).
Janet sent this email recently, and I think it firmly illustrates my point. I know she sent it to some of y'all; I hope she doesn't mind me posting it here.
"Ever since I have known Dub, I have listened as he fielded questions as to the origin of his nickname. Until yesterday there was no real understanding of the source, but I think I have finally solved the mystery.
We saw The Pirate Queen yesterday, the story of Grace O'Malley who led the Irish rebellion against Queen Elizabeth I. The leader of the clan, her father, was named Dubhdara - an historic Celtic name signifying clan leader. I thought to myself, "Of Course -- this is the source of the nickname" Here is what I figured. Dub's mother, Agnes, a stalwart Scots woman, understood the power of the old Celtic names and actually began the practice of calling her youngest son, Dub. Or perhaps it was his father, Robert, who tickled the baby's toes and lovingly called him Dub and said "you will be the leader of the clan." Yes, that must be the source. Later, Agnes realized that it is also important to call a person by his given name and as he grew older, she insisted on calling him Elmer. But she actually knew the nickname was firmly in place and was secretly glad. It is for that reason that Elizabeth remembers how important that name was to her grandmother.
But I have a suspicion that the Celtic is actually the source of the nickname.
I also realize that I never knew Agnes and may be impugning her memory with these thoughts -- but I don't think so.
So, here's to you Dubhdara, leader of the clan.
Janet Brown"
And here's to you, Janet, for the insight. I picture Grandmother Brown reading this with a little smile and perhaps a brief nod.
Linda
Janet sent this email recently, and I think it firmly illustrates my point. I know she sent it to some of y'all; I hope she doesn't mind me posting it here.
"Ever since I have known Dub, I have listened as he fielded questions as to the origin of his nickname. Until yesterday there was no real understanding of the source, but I think I have finally solved the mystery.
We saw The Pirate Queen yesterday, the story of Grace O'Malley who led the Irish rebellion against Queen Elizabeth I. The leader of the clan, her father, was named Dubhdara - an historic Celtic name signifying clan leader. I thought to myself, "Of Course -- this is the source of the nickname" Here is what I figured. Dub's mother, Agnes, a stalwart Scots woman, understood the power of the old Celtic names and actually began the practice of calling her youngest son, Dub. Or perhaps it was his father, Robert, who tickled the baby's toes and lovingly called him Dub and said "you will be the leader of the clan." Yes, that must be the source. Later, Agnes realized that it is also important to call a person by his given name and as he grew older, she insisted on calling him Elmer. But she actually knew the nickname was firmly in place and was secretly glad. It is for that reason that Elizabeth remembers how important that name was to her grandmother.
But I have a suspicion that the Celtic is actually the source of the nickname.
I also realize that I never knew Agnes and may be impugning her memory with these thoughts -- but I don't think so.
So, here's to you Dubhdara, leader of the clan.
Janet Brown"
And here's to you, Janet, for the insight. I picture Grandmother Brown reading this with a little smile and perhaps a brief nod.
Linda
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home